Neurological physiotherapy is the treatment of patients suffering from a neurological disorder. Neurological disorders are those which affect the brain, spinal cord and nerves.
When the nervous system is damaged muscles can become weak and floppy or very tight leading to spasms or tremor. Movement can also become uncoordinated. Patients can also experience altered sensations as well as problems with speech or swallowing.
Our initial assessment consists of both a full physical assessment of the patient together with a detailed account of past medical history and previous mobility. Physiotherapy goals are developed between you and your physiotherapist(and, if necessary, your family or those who care for you) before treatment is started.
Treatment is usually carried out in our clinic but other venues, including your home, can also be used if this better suits your needs.
Your treatment in our clinic will include identifying your specific sporting needs and prescribing specific exercise programs designed to guide you back to your pre injury level. We work with individuals ranging from those who are currently inactive and keen to commence sporting activity, to the recreational sports person and the elite athlete.
We can effectively treat groin strain, knee tendon, cartilage and ligament injuries, muscle / tendon insertion strains such as hamstring and calf tears, plantar fasciitis, sprained ankle ligaments and achilles tendonitis. As a patient, whether you need a couple of sessions or an extensive rehabilitation programme, our highly qualified physiotherapists will tailor a course of treatment specifically to you. This will consist of a combination of hands-on treatment and 1:1 exercise rehabilitation. We will teach you the exercise programmes and pain prevention techniques which you will undertake at home or work designed to allow you to take control of your condition, speed up your recovery and, most importantly, prevent any reoccurrence.
Musculoskeletal conditions that our chartered physiotherapists treat: low back pain, disc degeneration, pregnancy backaches, arthritis, whiplash, sciatica nerve trapped, headache, stiffness, tennis elbow, repetitive strain injury (RSI), tendonitis, osteoarthritis, postural abnormality, pre/post operation rehabilitation, ACL Rupture, hip/knee replacements, ligament, cartilage tear, shin splints, ankle sprain, muscular tear, job related injuries, frozen shoulder, etc.
Utilising manual therapy, studio equipment and highly effective exercise programmes, conceived by our experienced physio team, we will work in partnership with you to ensure that pain does not reoccur and good musculoskeletal health is developed. Because no two patients are alike, we work with you to develop an appropriate physiotherapy programme to meet your individual goals.
That’s why we have built up an enviable reputation specialising in pre operative conditioning, post operative rehabilitation, sports injuries and a wide range of back problems.
As well, we can offer treatments for:
- Spinal pain – back/neck pain
- Spinal (spinal fusion, laminectomy, micro-discectomy, foraminotomy, disc removal)
- Shoulder pain
- Shoulder (SLAP repairs, rotator cuff repairs, bankart repairs, ACJ stabilisations)
- Elbow (fixations, tennis elbow, nerve transpositions)
- Wrist (TFCC repairs, scaphoid repairs, carpal tunnel release, carpal fixation)
- Knee injury/pain
- Knee menisectomy (medial or lateral)
- Knee micro-fracture
- Ankle injury/pain
- Sports injury
- Women’s health problems
- Soft tissue injury
- Work related injury
- Ligament and tendon problems
- Respiratory issues (COPD, asthma, bronchitis)
- Balance problems (Vertigo)
- Groin (posterior abdominal wall repairs, conjoint tendon, Gilmore’s groin)
- Hip Surgery (Labral tears, arthroscopy, micro fracture)
- ACL-Reconstructions (BPTB, hamstring)
- MCL/LCL strains (inc. sclerosant therapy)
- Ankle (Achilles repairs, arthroscopy, reconstructions, syndesmotic repairs, micro-fracture, fusions)
- Foot (metatarsal fixations, navicular fixations)
- All joint replacements (shoulder, hip, knee, ankle)
- Injection therapy (Caudal epidurals, facet joint, high volume Achilles and Patella tendon, subacromial bursitis, Pes anserine bursitis, pubic symphseal)
- Fractures – post setting of the fracture (upper and lower limb)
- Acute neck injuries (stingers, disc bulges, wry neck, facet dysfunctions)
- Acute shoulder injuries (ACJ disruptions, stingers, subluxations, dislocations, contusions)
- Acute spinal pain (sciatica, SIJ dysfunction, facet dysfunction, piriformis syndrome, referred pain)
- Groin (adductor strains, hip flexor strains, lower abdominal discomfort, pubic related pain)
- Thigh (hamstring strains, dead legs, quadriceps strains)
- Tendinopathy (supraspinatus, Biceps, tennis elbow, golfers elbow, biceps femoris, Patella, Achilles, tibial posterior)
- Anterior Knee pain (patella-femoral, ITB friction syndrome, plicas, infra-patella bursitis, fat pad impingement, patella tendinopathy)
- Lower leg (compartment syndrome, MTSS, calf strains, achilles tendinopathy)
- Foot (stress fractures, plantar fasciitis, tarsal tunnel syndrome, Lis Franc fractures, impingements,heel spur)
- Disc prolapsed (slipped disc, herniated disc)
- Sciatic nerve trapped
- Cerebral Palsy (infants, children, adults)
- Head Injury
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Dementia (Alzheimer’s disease)
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Guillain Barre Syndrome
- Peripheral Nerve Injury
- Developmental Delay
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Transverse Myelitis
- Huntington’s Disease
- Motor Neurone Disease
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Slips and falls
- Muscle spasm
- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy
- Schema focused therapy
- Dialectical behavioural therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Remedial massage
- Sports massage